Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Be Like the Moon...Reflect the Son

Guest Poster: Tex


Taken last night from our deck...


This is what I saw last night when I went outside to look at the stars. Isn't it amazing? I went in and got my mom and she came out to look at it, too, and I used her camera to take this picture.


At a Christian convention I went to earlier this year I saw someone wearing a tee-shirt that said, "Be Like the Moon, Reflect the Son." I thought of that saying when I saw the moon last night.


Mom and I were thinking that the ring around the moon looks like a halo. That is actually what the scientists call this phenomenon, which occurs when there are ice crystals high up in the atmosphere. The crystals reflect the light and give the appearance of a halo around the moon.


This made me think that the moon is a picture of how we are supposed to try to reflect God's love to others through our words and actions. The moon shines because its surface is reflecting the light of the sun. Even though the sun is not visible on our side of the world all the time, you can still see its light. That is how we are supposed to be. We are supposed to reflect God's light to others even though they don't visibly see Him.


I am going to try hard this year to do what that shirt said, to "Be like the moon and reflect the Son" in everything I do. I will think about the moon halo that I saw whenever I need a reminder of how I need to act.


Blessings,


Tex


Random Scientific Fact: Halos always occur exactly 22 degrees away from the sun or moon. For more information on moon halos see Curious About Astronomy and Moon Light Effects (more pictures).

3 comments:

kathy@stewards's steno said...

Tex,
What a thought provoking post. I'm impressed with the way you in scientific details alongside a profound spiritual thought. You are a much better writer than I am.
What's the possibility of stealing you from your mom?

Pebblekeeper ~ Angie said...

What a beautiful post! I love the combination of science and The Word. Thanks for taking a turn at the wheel, er keyboard Tex!

Lorus! said...

Excellent reminder of our 'job' in life! I am so thankful that God puts reminders like this in our lives!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...